PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 17:30
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listening to the LiveATC.net tapes it seems obvious that BDL knew that there was an emergency aircraft inbound. Some of the verbiage from the aircraft may have been cut out on the LiveATC recordings since more than one frequency was being scanned. We may eventually find out more when the ATC transcripts are released.

If they knew the plane would crash at the deice fluid tank farm perhaps they could have responded sooner but it seems to me that they had the fire crews out next to the runway for the disabled plane.

Like the controller, I wouldn't know if an engine out on a B-17 was an urgent problem. I've flown four-engine planes where we shut down one or two motors at times to save gas.

Some opinions from earlier in this thread:

Originally Posted by tdracer
A B-17 can fly just fine on three engines (and even with 13 people, they would not have been 'heavy' since there are no guns or bombs), so clearly there must be more to it than a simple engine failure.
Originally Posted by filejw
I presume you are right but it will be interesting to find out why they landed / impacted short of the R/W. Should be able to fly on 3 engines .
Originally Posted by Australopithecus
​​Like most aircraft of that era, the B-17 was only marginal on all engines...on three with a full load it would be a handful.
In recent years in Part 121 operations I've been taught to declare an emergency if there is any doubt. Sure, you have to file a report even if the indication is false but it protects you from getting violated for technical fouls like landing at another airport without being redispatched. And of course you get priority handling and have the ARFF crew on alert.