PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 21:21
tdracer

Received 157 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by obgraham
What a sad day, especially for the injured or killed, and also for the aircraft.

I've been up in Nine-O-Nine twice. Got to sit in the left hand pilot seat for 10 minutes and make a couple of gentle turns in her. What an experience!
Plus one on the sad day.
I flew on that aircraft about ten years ago when it was in Everett - it was a priceless experience.
Finfly1, agree on the hope this doesn't stop or seriously discourage this sort of activity. When I took my joyride on Nine-O-Nine, I keep thinking what a shame it was that my WW II veteran dad wasn't alive to come along - he would have absolutely loved it. He wasn't a pilot, but he was quite familiar with the B-17 - when I was a kid we'd watch the TV series 'Twelve O'clock High' (based on the movie of the same name) and he was always talking about what a great aircraft the B-17 was.
On my ride, there was a father (roughly my age) with his teenage son. Before takeoff, his son appeared seriously bored - messing with his phone. But five minutes into the flight the kid was completely enthralled - started using his phone to video everything. Quite literally living history.