PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 14:35
BlackPanther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Weapons Grade
As a suggestion: all ATCs' KPIs should be linked to traffic efficiency, and without caveats - a flight takes either a COBT or airborne delay, ALL ATCs KPIs take a percentile hit. I am sure that will have their collective minds focused on safe, expeditious and EFFICIENT traffic management. And, do not get me started with traffic holding fuel and who pays for it, but who should pay for it when traffic holding invoked.
I signed up to the forum purely to reply to this. What an unbelievably misinformed and juvenile comment. Take the blinkers off and think again.

ATC are entirely trying their best every single time that there are delays in the network. They have no control AT ALL over the magnitude or configuration of the delays. To say that the runway wind limits (CASA regulation) or inefficient ground delay usage (Airservices NCC in consultation with airlines) are causing havoc is an entirely fair statement. But both of these have zero to do with licenced ATC. The single exception of flow controllers is basically irrelevant too. They only improve the 'flow' of traffic (It's kinda in the name), not generate delays.

If we put 'safety' to the side (I know, that sounds like a weird statement) and forget the CASA issue with the runway winds, there are still dozens of different factors that come into play with network delays. I could easily write a 5000 word essay on them and still come up short.