PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 12:52
Twiglet1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pulluptoga
I have to agree with all the comments made about the BA management culture above. I wanted to add a word of warning for people reading this thread from continental Europe and willing to commute : be aware that BA is pretty much an anti-commuter company. They will treat you as a child and dig up into your commuting habits (if they believe you have arrived at Heathrow in the evening too late before an early report the next day, you’ll get a phone call). If you are unlucky and the flight you are commuting on is cancelled for any reason and you miss your report, they will have a go at you (which is very much unfair - what’s the difference between a commuter missing report due to cancelled flight VS a local pilot missing report due to an accident on the motorway...). As a result, most commuters would rather call sick rather than phoning ops to let them know they will be late for report due to an issue with their commuting flight... Add to that management of fear the whole Brexit disaster and the uncertainties it creates for non-UK citizen and now you know why I can’t wait to find a job elsewhere!
As my old DFO always told me - Commuters should only be able to do what I can roster within the FTL (and to their credit BALPA never had an issue with that statement)
Same old DFO had a yellow card system in place for those who missed report due to examples such as above - and that was with a relatively mature FRMS in place.
BA may well be anti-commuter that's basically down to the EASA regulations on AOC responsibilities and the law should it all go wrong. EASA also enhances crewmembers responsibilities to this effect also.
Let us know when you end up "elsewhere".....