View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2019, 02:18
De_flieger

Originally Posted by LeadSled View Post
De flieger,
Do you seriously believe what this article says means the above ---- you completely misunderstand (or misrepresent??) what kind of "occupational licensing" is being referred to --- government control of who can be in business, not recognition of the qualifications to be a doctor, a lawyer or a pilot, such qualifications being presented in different ways.
It does NOT imply that many occupations (pilots, doctors)should not require minimum standards, that anybody should be able to set up shop wherever they please.
A "licensed" dentist?? Never heard of one??
You really should read the article (and some of the footnotes) with an open mind, as long as it is not a mind that is open at both ends.
Look, I'm just reading the words that the IPA write down in their articles, which they make fairly clear. For example, when they state in one of their reports: "Australian governments should move to substantially reduce, if not entirely abolish, occupational licensing in Australia.", that reads to me that they want the substantial reduction, or entire abolition, of occupational licensing.

As far as licensed dentists, if you want to get into semantics the legally protected title is "dentist", along with variations such as "dental therapist", but either way if you arent registered with AHPRA as a dentist, and you represent yourself as one or perform dentistry, you can (at least in NSW) be sent to jail for up to 3 years. There's been a few cases over the years of people convicted in court of falsely representing they were a dentist. Those laws apply to a range of other professional healthcare titles too such as midwife, dental practitioner, psychologist and so on. That's government regulation and licensing.

For Okihara's case of being charged north of $20k to hold that registration, I agree - that is obscene if registration is the only service being provided for that cost. The IPA isn't arguing for cheaper registration for medical professionals though, or looking at whether that is value for money - they have an ideological objection to licensing and regulation of professionals on the grounds that it interferes with the free market. If you're buying a coffee and it's a terrible coffee, you can decide not to use that coffee shop again and tell your friends how bad it was, but if you have surgery and die because of the lack of qualifications of the person conducting the operation, the free market doesn't really work to protect consumers in that case. I don't know how you can simultaneously recognise and accredit the minimum standards required for a technical profession, without having some form of registration or licensing with a professional body that oversees those standards - otherwise anyone can just call themselves a doctor, lawyer etc without consequence until it backfires on their clients or unsuspecting passengers embedded in small pieces into the side of a hill. How would you do it LeadSled?