PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 30th Sep 2019, 22:20
jdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boofhead
Some talk that the problems faced by these crews were made more difficult due to the multiple warnings and confusion caused by same. I agree that it would be tough but it is not new; all airplanes with a warning system will display all the existing problems at the same time (except for TO/LDG inhibits) and it has always been necessary for the crews to prioritize. Many accidents (including two in 1996 involving the 757) have been caused when the crews could not manage that and it would be expected that pilots and the training departments of their airlines would include this in the syllabus.

In this case, the problem that would have to be handled first would have been to stop the airplane from diving into the ground. If that is not solved, and solved immediately, there is no need to even look at the other warnings.

The standard stab trim fault procedure (runaway trim) would have worked but this was not done in either case resulting in the loss of both aircraft and the deaths of almost 350 innocents.

How can anybody claim that this is not true? What else would a trained crew do as a first response? Pushing the nose down as a response to the stick shaker would not help, nor looking through the QRH to identify the CAS messages. If a crew cannot fly the aircraft they do not deserve to be on the flight deck and the passengers did not deserve what happened to them. Sadly (in my opinion) due to pilot error.

If we do not identify the root cause of the accidents and do something to mitigate it the same thing can happen. The design and operation of the MCAS is not a root cause; it is contributing of course but it did not cause the loss of the aircraft. That was solely caused by flight crews that did not know or could not apply the correct immediate actions for the runaway stab trim.
You couldn't be more wrong. Or more proud. You blame pilot error and then end by stating we need to identify the cause. Which is it you sound so confused. Let me help. This was not simply pilot error.
have a good night