PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here We Go Again - Divide and Rule.
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2019, 21:02
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Piston_Broke
More likely:
  • cheap airfares
  • increase in cost of housing, utilities, schools etc. and other drains on disposable income
  • improved road networks
Bull*$##! The improved road networks simply take you to the capital city traffic jams and clogged suburban freeways. Furthermore, we are stuck with maximum speed limits of 110 kmh and concerted campaigns in some states to wind speed limits backwards to 80 kmh in many areas.

The cheap airfares only exist between capital cities - I think we currently have a government enquiry into the high cost of RPT flights to regional destinations and yes,

disposable income has not kept up with the increasing costs of over regulation of general aviation.

Don't even mention the train systems which are already overloaded and inconveniently timed for many country travelers.

My “commute” to Melbourne is now 3 hours, it used to be two and a half. Yet by air (C172) it’s 45 minutes to YMMB (by my experience​​​​​​) and probably 30 and twenty to Essendon and lilydale respectively.

If I put on my dreaming glasses for a minute, Melbourne could be served by Essendon to the North, Lilydale to the North East, Moorabbin to the South and Point Cook to the West. Then you would have a proper opportunity to match transport modes to destinations.

I think Sydney and Brisbane have similar issues. Contrast that with places like LA where flying from one side of the city to the other is an option.

Thanks to CASA over regulation, or perhaps deliberate choice by the department of transport and infrastructure, the Australian population is never going to get the chance to experience General Aviation as a competitor to other transport modes.