PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Annoying habits
Thread: Annoying habits
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2019, 12:15
rolaaand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim59
1. At those levels they are unlikely to be orbiting (as in thermalling), more probably in wave where their airspeed almost matches the windspeed so are almost stationary.

2. Even those gliders that are transponder equipped are probably breaking the law if they use them. Class 2 transponders (130 W) are approved for use up to only FL150 - above that Class 1 transponders (250 W) are required. I doubt that many/any UK gliders have Class 1 transponders due to battery limitations.

3. The non-transponding gliders above FL100 are only present in "notified Non-SSR Transponder Glider Areas" day VFR. When areas are not notified then non-transponding gliders will not be there. Notification by NOTAM is typically >18 hours in advance.

4. The emotive wording "the CAA in their wisdom" does not reflect the reality that the previous freedom to fly without transponders in Class G airspace has been progressively removed and that above FL100 is now possible in clearly defined areas and the further restriction of prior notification has been imposed only in the last couple of years.

5. Current CAA policy seems to be that gliders will soon need transponders below FL100 in most circumstances.

Thanks for the info Jim. Well aware of the NOTAMs authorising this. I have no problems with the gliders being there at all, they are entitled to be. Transponders are always welcome and are a huge boost to safety. My issue is not with the gliders or their pilots.
My issues in that area are firstly quite a lot of traffic wants to route in and out of PH via SAB,especially arrivals for 24, some appropriate airspace would be nice. Secondly, as I’ve alluded to earlier,I suspect quite a lot of commercial pilots are unaware of their responsibilities under UKFIS and also that they immediately drop down my list of priorities if they choose to leave controlled airspace. Gliders are far from the only operators in that bit of airspace, the military play there a lot too. They tend to have transponders though.