PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2019, 19:59
P40Warhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redsnail
Yap - many have not made it unfortunately. A combination of bad timing and/or crap at the interview/sim means they haven't nailed the interview. The reason why they're not posting here is they have drifted away. Don't under estimate the numbers. There are a lot who've fallen by the wayside.

The bad timing is worth bearing in mind. If you finish your training during a down town, then your IR skills degrade very quickly. Keeping your IR skills is very expensive.
Yes absolutely true.
I finished in 2013. The market was horrendous.

Send out like 350 applications in the first year. All custimized to the particular airline I was applying for so not just copy paste. I only received a handful generic e mails back stating they are looking for pilots with experience or they were not looking for pilots at the time. Very very depressing, but I decided to apply for a job as FA. Got myself a job as an FA in a small operator which was flying the Dash for a big European Airline. After some time I moved to that mainline as FA on Airbus. Saddly they went bust.

In meanwhile I kept applying. My first assessments I had in 2017. Saddly not succesful or succesful but still didnt get the job. I was about to give up until I got another shot beginning of 2018. There I got the job on a B737.

Worked in that company until 1.5 week ago and moved straight onto my new employer flying again B737.

I now have some useful experience and I get contacted now by different companies and recruiters if I am interested to fly for them.
also I passed an assessment in another company a few weeks ago. I was in the hard position to decide for whom I want to work for.

All I can say from my experience. Do whatever needed to get your foot between the door. Once you gathered 500 multicrew hours, doors will open, but also networking. Very important. I got my present job because of an friend of mine who got me in contact with this company.

I have another assessment coming up in another company also.

Believe in a good outcome and do a lot of networking. Once you have your first break life will get much better.

Good luck to all the ones looking for the first break.