PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 22:49
jdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPJP

I agree with your implication that ‘it’s not so simple’.

However; attitude (pitch and roll) information is provided by the aircrafts IRSs. They are the aircrafts sole source of attitude and heading information with the exception of the SBY attitude indicator and magnetic compass.

So - you have attitude indications, and you have thrust. Independent of all of the other stuff that’s trying to lead you astray and confuse you. Including the AOA inputs.

If I misread what you meant by “controlled”. Then disregard
You did misread or perhaps I lacked clarity. My point was this entire thread is about loss of pitch control. So one cannot simply suggest thrust and attitude be the antidote. You can't control the attitude.

​​​​​By now we all know that if you are so desperate for control that you are resorting to pitch and power (as we call it in the states ) and you lost pitch control you must adjust thrust accordingly. That's where Ethiopian failed.

My employers memory item for that situation, above acceleration altitude but below FL100, is 10 deg pitch and climb detent in the A320. In a situation like Max encountered you can't maintain 10 deg pitch so thrust must be reduced.

Just hate to see others here say the pilots should have simply established a pitch and set a thrust setting.

When you've been there and done that report back on how easy it was please.