PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet FO anxiety attack
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 10:16
BewareOfTheSharklets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
All the other medical limits for pilots are super strict like eyesight and such. Many good pilots are blocked from a career because of very minor imperfections. However mental health issues suddenly get that extra bonus for softer limits. Why is that?
Because mental health problems can be hidden much more easily than physical impairments. If you act "tough" against mental health issues, people will hide them rather than seeking treatment which is much more likely to have a bad outcome.

Originally Posted by parkfell
Reverserbucket post at 1650 yesterday concerning Matthew Guest v. Flybe Limited at an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal describes in detail the emotional issues which can occur. Definitely worth a read for those interested in mental health flying issues. Allow yourself two hours.
​​​​​​I read through all that and found it very worthwhile. A very difficult situation for all involved, though I guess all issues relating to mental health and aviation are.

Originally Posted by Uplinker
However, if a pilot with nearly 700 hours does not feel they can control and arrest a sideways drift close to minima, and/or has to go around - and this situation scares them - well, are they really in the right profession?
My impression was that he wasn't fearful of the go-around but rather the aftermath (cockpit gradient). Performance Pressure being higher than normal because the skipper had needed to take control from him the day before.