PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots vote to strike
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2019, 10:07
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archive mole
‘Overpaid bus drivers’ - apart from operating your aircraft within the limitations using SOPs, what is so special about BA pilots? Do you print out your own paperwork each time you report to work; do you have to set up the refuel panel for the fuelling; do you open and close cargo holds; do you empty and refill the potable water tank, or even know how to ‘drop’ a toilet and refill the fluid? Ever cleaned a cabin or assisted in doing so? Cabin/hold security search; load bags or secure cargo with nets? Do you even have to arrange your own transport to and from hotels? Of course you don’t. You simply fly the aircraft; hence, unlike many hard working pilots, you are overpaid glorified bus drivers

Do you print out your own paperwork each time you report to work
Yes.

do you have to set up the refuel panel for the fuelling
Generally no but it has been known.

do you open and close cargo holds
They're too high up and the cargo chaps would be rather annoyed.

do you empty and refill the potable water tank
wouldn't even know how to and again....it's too high up

or even know how to ‘drop’ a toilet and refill the fluid?
thank god it's too high up. Why on earth would you be involved in dropping the toilets and playing with a biohazard before stepping back into the Flightdeck?

Ever cleaned a cabin or assisted in doing so
yep, when I was cabin crew myself many moons ago!

Cabin/hold security search
as above

load bags or secure cargo with nets
yep, when I worked on the ramp at a regional airport for 8 months while scraping enough money together to do my IR.

Do you even have to arrange your own transport to and from hotels
Calling a taxi is extremely hard work....you're my hero. And it goes without saying you make sure you call yourself and don't ask reception or the concierge to call one for you just so you sleep well knowing you've done a good days work.

You simply fly the aircraft; hence, unlike many hard working pilots, you are overpaid glorified bus drivers[
Simply flying the aircraft....theres nothing simple about getting an aeroplane from A-B and delivering hundreds of passengers and tonnes of cargo safely and efficiently to their destination. Now, either you're a troll and know absolutely nothing of flying OR you've got a rather large chip on both shoulders for reasons only you really understand.

Just be careful throwing stones around pal. Many of us have gone down a very long and difficult road to reach a seat at the pointy end of a BA aeroplane with lots of experience gained in various areas of the industry enroute. If you really think someone working for 'One-Man-Band Airways' frantically printing off paperwork and ordering a taxi while donning their biohazard suit to empty the poo tank is what a modern pilot should be then I'd suggest you don't know what you're on about and should possibly get your head read.

In any case, if you think your laughable example of 'One-Man-Band Airways' entitles you to sit back and slag off a group of rightly disgruntled professional pilots then your much mistaken.

Don't feed the Daily Mail journo Troll folks. No current or former professional pilot would come out with such utter tosh.