PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recruitment Process
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2019, 19:59
planetalking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gbotley
To get to the interview table you've probably met that criteria already. To get to the controls you'd probably need the beer talk stuff.

Flying to Larnaca and back with a colleague that barely speaks or holds small talk - which more often than not is needed to help your conversation develop into topics you share common interests in - is a damn painful experience. I was looking for space in a passengers bag to save me from the 5+ hours on the return journey. There's only so many times you can read the labels on the overhead panel. I don't think it comes down to intro/extroversion as I've flown with a fair number of the former who can still engage in conversation, even if that requires a little nudge or two to get the metaphorical fire started.

Those peers of mine that fell over at the interview hurdle but whom since have found jobs, often did so through lack of interview skill. Sadly in this modern day interviewing is a skill in itself. As a334 alludes, being able to pull out relevant experiences in your life with a strong structured answer will help you tick any HR boxes. Arguably more vital in the low-hours game, but if you can't convey what they want to hear it's may not end well. Many airlines will tick the "skills / experience" box with your tech-interview and/or sim session, right?

Can I ask planetalking, have you recently been unsuccessful?
Been both Unsuccessful & Successful. Having been both the Interviewee & the Interviewer, I still get frustrated by some of the processes & what some people seem to think makes a good candidate.
I suppose, in reality, this industry is following the majority in this country eg. a person with 20 years experience is bypassed by a 20-year-old graduate who ticks all the boxes in the HR process, has more pieces of paper or is outspoken & can tell a good story