PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoother skies for Nauru Airlines
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2019, 03:25
Pacific Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the huff and puff on this site is interesting as too is the recent management letter telling us that we are going to be a “family airline” with not so many Board meeting.

But what about safety and in particular, the shortage of pilots and fatigue!!

On the 12 June 2015, Nauru Airlines had a very serious occurrence at Kosrae when the flight crew did not complete the approach checklist before commencing the NDB approach. As a result the barometric pressure setting on the altimeters was not set to the local QNH (1007 hPa). During the approach, at night and in IMC, the aircraft descended below MDA. Three EGPWS ‘too low terrain’ alerts were triggered but the crew did not respond to the first two EGPWS alerts and correct the flight profile further eroding terrain clearance. A go-around was performed prior to the aircraft reaching the missed approach point however, during the go-around the airspeed was allowed decayed further endangering the aircraft.

An ATSB contributing factor to this near disaster was the CAPTAIN’S FATIGUE. At that time, we had over 30 pilots.

In its report (AO-2015-066) the ATSB noted that, “This occurrence highlights the importance of flight crews declaring any instances of acute fatigue and stress-inducing circumstances that may have an impact on their flying performance.”

Today we have the same 5 aircraft and we are doing more flying - but with just 18 pilots.

That is correct, WE HAVE A CURRENT TOTAL PILOT STRENGHT IN NAURU AIRLINES OF 18, or, 1.8 crews per aircraft!!!

We operate in a hostile environment and are being rostered to FDT limits consistently, particularly on the Air Vanuatu services. We are all doing the right thing by helping the company out on days off, but like so many of my colleagues, I am feeling stressed; If we don’t work, we are being told services will have to be cancelled. We are carrying more MELs and we still cannot trust Ops Control to provide error free information.

I love my job, but I am fatigued.

CASA has just completed an audit and must be aware of this situation. And the problem is not limited to the pilots. Engineers and cabin crew are also complaining about shortages and fatigue. Do we have to have another Kosrae?

I AM DECLARING THAT NAURU AIRLINES:

· HAS NOT LEARNT ANY LESSONS FROM KOSRAE;

· HAS A SHORTAGE OF OPERATIONAL STAFF;

· IS APPLYING SUBLE PRESSURE ON PILOTS TO FLY ON DAYS OFF;

· HAS AN ACUTE FATIGUE PROBLEM IN THE COMPANY NOW.

IMHO, CASA, being aware of this problem, should immediately suspend the Nauru Airlines’ AOC until:

1. There are sufficient pilots to operate the flying program;

2. There are sufficient LAMEs/AMEs to service the fleet;

3. There are sufficient cabin crew to operate the flying program;

4. All fatigue issues are addressed and a FRMS is implemented not intimated; and

5. All Ops Control staff are qualified and assessed as competent.