PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada
Thread: Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2019, 16:14
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Altiplano ��, so after joining air canada as a 737/320 FO , it takes 2 years (the average ) to uprade to a captain .it looks good , Upgrades are faster ,in NB , than i thought because someone told me that it takes 10 years to upgrade in 737/320 ��
Don't ever base your career decisions on the results of the current bid unless you're personally involved.

The fact that someone has been able to upgrade at Air Canada inside two years is approaching the definition of unprecedented. Unfortunately, there are a few pilots hired recently in the industry who have an inflated expectation of their career progression, and this current bid is an example of the fodder feeding those expectations. It does nothing to cool expectations. This is nowhere near the average or median and if you think or plan your future in those terms, you're gonna get butt hurt.

Things are really good at the airlines today. As in, this very second. As in, if you hold a seniority number that is a couple of years old. It is possible this will continue for at least another 5 years, and I envy anyone obtaining a seniority number today as you are likely going to have a very different career than most of us on this forum had. But wake up and realize that you should plan to spend 7 to 10 years in the right seat of a major carrier and about 3 to 5 for a regional. If it happens quicker than that, awesome and good for you, but that's how long it traditionally takes outside of massive growth or retirements. I work with a few angry, bitter boors who joined the airline at a time when qualified pilots were upgrading in 3 to 6 months. Now the upgrade time is a year or two and they can't handle the injustice done to them (please insert sarcasm font).

Don't be a boor. Plan to spend a good amount of time in the right seat. If you can't handle spending 10 years in the right seat, then don't bother coming to the airlines because the fluctuations in this industry won't do you any good.