PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook-2
Thread: Thomas Cook-2
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2019, 23:48
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
The share price has fallen 94 % in the last 12 months. The entire company (travel agencies, airlines, etc) is now worth less than the list price of a single A321.

Update - The Times reports that the CAA is making contingency plans for the possible collapse of Thomas Cook. While the airline can legally operate independently of the travel agency and thus the airline has no formal need of an ATOL, the lack of an ATOL would force the UK travel agency business into closure and mean a significant decline in the number of pax for the airline - airline ops would likely be deeply loss making without the revenue from the ATOL-based travel agency. The ATOL is reported to be due to expire on Tuesday 01 October - not sure if that's Tuesday morning or Tuesday evening. Talks have reportedly been held with Alix Partners about a possible bankruptcy

This is the time of year when leisure-based travel agencies and airlines find cashflow becoming very tough - summer has positive cashflow, but the period from October to April does not
I really hope that Thomas Cook pull through - it is very sad to see such a proud name going through such problems

Disclaimer - I have a flight booked on my debit card with Thomas Cook,so if they go bust I lose out financially

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 15th Sep 2019 at 03:42.