PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell ditching off Newcastle
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2019, 22:20
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
It’s not a “fixation”. There was speculation earlier that the aircraft had busted controlled airspace. There was also speculation about whether a Romeo was or was not active at the time in a place where the aircraft was at 3,000’. And whilst it might be that the aircraft was gobbled up by extreme weather and disorientation, it might be that confusion with procedures and airspace was a factor. (My pure speculation.) Certainly I’m now confused by what Maggie is saying. If some people consider that there’s no point in discussing the airspace and procedures in this case, I (genuinely respectfully) take a different view.

I’m looking at a VTC and ERSA entry that says Willytown is C to 5,000’ out to the 12nm arc “ATS HR 2000 - 1200 DLY (1 HR earlier HDS). May be extended to support CLA MIL (Check CTR NOTAM).”

The Class C to 5,000’ is NOT a ROMEO.

My question was about ROMEOS being active or inactive.

If I fly coastal up to Merewether now at 500’ coastal - that is BELOW the lower level of Romeos 578C and 578D - then track overhead Willytown at 500’, I’m not busting any Romeo. I’m busting Class C airspace. Or have I got that wrong?

If I’m not wrong, it follows that the ROMEOS being active or inactive does NOT determine whether Willy Class C is active or inactive.

It may well be that the CTR NOTAMS and the ROMEO NOTAMS are issued concurrently for concurrent times, but that does have to be the case and, more importantly, it is not always the case. It might be the recent experience of a few people, but that does not make it universally true.