PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 13th Sep 2019, 14:58
fdr

Received 847 Likes on 251 Posts
Tomaski,

Noted,

My comment is a continuation of my musings. Your response led me to review my own, and reply above. Your desire to see more hand flying is a solution that is in line with the CAA apparently; I am suggesting that a RCA of the issue may not arrive at the same place as the necessary steps to reinforce operational safety. Hand driving places the pilot in the loop, which prima facie improves awareness, however, that is only true to a point, and history shows that point often ends up in the dirt. Hand flying also leads to tunnel vision, task saturation and then dropping of cues. What looks like a loss of one skill is essentially a loss of SA, and that is the area that needs to be reinforced.

Being aware of your SA state by whatever means floats your boat is at the very least desirable... most likely absolutely necessary for safety to be maintained. Doing that is not a trick, it able to to be learnt, evaluated and enhanced, by recognition of SA loss, and techniques to recover same.

Last edited by fdr; 13th Sep 2019 at 17:31.