PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has everyone suddenly forgotten how to build airplanes?
Old 13th Sep 2019, 12:03
a5in_the_sim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As is ever the case we pilots love to debate niff naff and trivia. Airliners may be giant computers but airlines buy them to MAKE MONEY! Airlines are run by accountants whose sole purpose is to MAKE MONEY! Safety is not in the ledger. When have you ever heard of an accountant being held responsible for anything safety related in ANY industry? Industry are under intense pressure to produce these aircraft quickly and cheaply. This isn’t a “rocket science” problem. A few high profile corporate manslaugter convictions when accidents happen will soon focus the mind, before these slippery corporate types slither away to take charge of a nuclear power station project or the next space shuttle.

As a pilot I don’t give a rip how many computers or widgets the manufacturer has incorporated into the design. I don’t care whether it’s a Boeing or an Airbus. I just want the hunk of metal to be a quality product and safe. And I want to be properly instructed to fly it. I’d personally be willing to take a lower salary to be sure of those things. Sadly the thing we senior pilots seem far to preoccupied with is MAKING MONEY!........... and round and round we go!