PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 13th Sep 2019, 11:03
EDML

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Double Back
During my airline years we were drilled to call ENGINE FAILURE/FIRE, LOUD and clear. This was to "reset" the crew (including Yrself) to start one's memory items/actions, whatever You were doing otherwise. More or less the same effect You will see when calling "Mayday 3X" , it will get anyone's attention (ATC and other A/C) and get everyone into high gear and do the job one was trained for.
It looks like this was not done here, plus the presence of the LAME had eroded the strict 2-man crew operation. It was NOT a three man crew with a fully trained FE, notwithstanding his knowledge of the engines. The LAME did probably all his best from a technical standpoint, but did not fit into CRM at that moment.
The pilots were leaning (too)heavily on his presence/actions.

For ones who might wonder why the aileron went upwards, when the aileron control cables break the pressure difference below and above the wing will force it upward. Possibly, when speed would be rising, it would blow back into a more trailing position, but if the net result would be the same rollrate, I have no cue. Anyone here to have an idea?
In this case they were already trading height for minimum speed, for not getting the prop into feathering, and there was no more energy to accelerate. Getting more speed would have given them more control, like with the rudder to assist in roll.
Nevertheless, as with many other accidents, not a scenario I'd like to be in and play hero. And I do have mixed feelings talking about the subject with the crew still recovering, But that is aviation.
And wishing them all the best.
Lift moves the aileron up when it’s no longer firmly connected to the other side. It will move up until a balance between lift and loss of lift due to the aileron position is reached. More speed won’t change that as the lift increases as well.
Depending on the way the cables are connected the other side will move up as well. That would keep things symmetrical with no roll rate. However, roll control would be very limited or lost altogether.