PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Door blows out during ground test on Boeing 777X jet
Old 11th Sep 2019, 22:49
Smythe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, let me declare my interest. I am an (English) ex-Boeing VP of many years.
Second, let me declare my frustration. The speculative comments on this issue are more akin to the Daily Mail or Sky News, not a supposedly professional site for pilots. I guess many pilots here get frustrated about comments from non-pilots (not to mention wannabe engineers). I wish there were a filtering system to weed out the idiots.
Third, these tests are usually designed precisely to test aircraft to destruction point.
Intermediate testing is done to weed out design and materials issues.

This was the FINAL ground test for certification...no learning here, this is to show the ac meets specs. It blew on the blow test and as Boeing stated, they had to stop the test.
The final test for cert is to show that all of the other testing and design assumptions have passed, and the ac is ready to be cert to fly.

This reads that they stopped the test before it was completed, correct?

On the blow test, there are 3 parts..static, working load, and ultimate.

Static tests the normal pressure
Working load tests the assumes highest pressure the fuselage will have ONCE in its service.
Ultimate load tests the working load by 1.5 times.

Boeing claims it had to stop the test...at which point did it stop?
The wording, failed under much higher that normal operations, stil could mean the working load test.

Think about it, if it had failed under ultimate, 1.5...that could be understood, because ultimate at 1.5 is the assumed failure pressure.

Given all of the secrecy, lack of disclosure, and other issues, I tend to believe it failed before working load....

As noted by the "ex-VP" videos are online and the ground testing was usually a media event....this one was closed doors to regulators. (and it failed with all of the regulatory agencies present, )

Time for Boeing to start telling the truth.