PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA 28 WING SPAR
Thread: PA 28 WING SPAR
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2019, 20:10
Stickshift3000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuban Eight
Looking at Arrows and Lances at the moment and not sure how to factor in the potential cost of what this proposed AD might turn in to
Its purely speculation at the moment - my belief is that if this AD is introduced in Australia, that it would probably rely on the FAA’s calculation of ‘factored’ service time (different to total time in service).

If looking at PA28’s, you could perform the calculation to determine factored service time to see where each prospective airframe stands. That’s what I would be doing prior to any purchase, however the way this plays out in Australia with our regulator is anyone’s guess.

Originally Posted by Cuban Eight
I feel like it would not be wise to buy a type that could shortly be subject to an expensive AD
This is a potential ownership cost as the ‘traditional’ GA fleet grows older. Any of these models could be subjected to ADs at any time in the future. I realise this doesn’t help your choice, but it’s probably a factor behind the popularity of some Rotax-powered light sport models (along with cost of avgas etc).