PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2019, 16:47
capricorn23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Global Aviator;10566070]

Seriously it’s your job and I don’t mean any offence. Sometimes it’s not easy but 4 crew (or more) operations is designed to mitigate this regardless of duty time.

I would be more concerned with all the back of the clock red eye, earlies to lates to earlies, yadda yadda yadda contstantly going on around the world with 2 crew!

As I’ve said before it’s not really ground breaking when you compare it to the ole SQ direct Newark or the new service.

Sure it’s (was) my job, but after 25 years of long haul flights, I can witness that quite often we ended up the flight with 4 pilots with the same level of fatigue, no matter who rested first or second, which wasn’t nice in case of any negative occurrence in the last part of the flight, let’s be honest.
I know that SQ makes the SIN-EWR since years, but what does it mean in terms of safety margins? So far it was safe, but that kind of fatigue you don’t get rid of with just a good (?) sleep, it’s the cumulative effect of it which has not been investigated in depth. We are exploring still an uncharted territory where there are not “truths” yet, just opinions...as it’s mine, of course. Just as a ”crazy contribution”, why not, for example, have the pilots going (on random basis) a psychometric test, or better, half an hour in a sim (with a couple of abnormal situations) after one of such extra-long flights, to test the readiness and alertness of the crews? Am I too paranoic?