PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SkyDemon vs. Foreflight
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2019, 13:46
BDAttitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Gittins
Since my original post and 6 hours in a 172 in Colorado, I have no early intention of abandoning Foreflight in the USA, nor SkyDemon in the UK and Europe. Any GPS system needs to be used with the caveat that if you are using it for VFR don't try and go where you couldn't using a 1:500 chart.

Still open to views and comments and if Foreflight start using CAA charts, that'll open up a whole new question.
So for FF you can get a DFS Europe package (which does not include western france and GB for some reason) for 140 quid plus 27 for France IGN + 58 for UK Nats and you are pretty much all set.
The same scenario with Rogers Data (austrian official provider) is a bit more expensive but you have one style for all european charts. I'll have to get one paper chart and try if it works good for me.
Those are no vector charts though, so it'll get coarse if you zoom in. However that might prevent you from going into the trap of overzooming we have both mentioned.

I still can't understand it that no company is able to give me me a reasonable flat rate offer for the 30 hours/year I fly with a radius of 400nm around my home base. 500€/year is not acceptable.

Edit:
I also do not understand why no one produces a proper aeronautical base maps without the airdata. Airdata can and should be added by the apps.
From certain examples (roads, city shapes) I can see that the vector base map from SD isn't excactly up to date. The shape of my home town is pre Y2K.

Last edited by BDAttitude; 10th Sep 2019 at 14:01.