PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2019, 14:34
13Beast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickyrider35
Hi there,
I wrote a few times in this forum as I have been in the process to be accepted in the ADF as a pilot for over 3 years now. I'm 20, and I received an offer for RAAF Pilot ADFA on the 19th of August 2019 after attending the OSB in march.

Unfortunately, on Monday I received a letter from DFR Medical saying that my opthomologist results came in and I have an accomodation which doesn't meet the requirements of AVR1, and have been classified as AVR3. I find the entire ordeal a bit odd, since they took 3 months since I sat the tests to give me the news, during which time they called me twice to ask me if I'd come in to do my test. I've never had any problems with my eyesight. My personal opinion is that the original results of the tests were lost or misplaced. But that is irrelevant now, as my offer has been revoked, and my application is on hold until further developments.

Today I went to do another optomolagist exam, at Personal Eyes as was suggested by my coordinator, and managed to get the results the same day, which, according to my doctor, were "well within AVR1 range" and he even went as far as saying "I have no idea how the other doctor deduced you have a bad eye-accomodation".

So, now I have the option to ask for a review, which I assume is the same as appealing the decision, by writing a letter with the supporting documentation I have obtained today.
The letter read:

To anyone that has gone through a similar experience, or knows any information regarding this appeal process, I have the following questions:
1. Although it says it will take a minimum of 6 weeks to process by the Head of Aviation Medicine in Canberra, is it likely to be longer? Could I be stuck in a pile until next year just to be approved by a doctor?
2. Would my appeal be more likely to be approved if I went to another clinic and repeated the tests a second time, and submitted both results, instead of just one set? As I understand they will otherwise have two sets of results which contradict each other, from the same company, but from two different clinics. How would they decide which to agree with if they only have two sets as opposed to three or more.
3. As I understand my offer has been nullified because of what happened, which I find hard to believe seeing as another set of results could prove the first ones wrong, at which point I would need to receive another offer even though I was deemed fit enough to be given one in the first place. Is this actually the case?

Thank you so much for any and all replies that I receive, this is a tough time for me and any guidance from you gods will be greatly appreciated!
​​​​​​Having been through an appeal process regarding eyesight, in answer to your questions:
1. Yes. Except six weeks as a minimum. This is Medical, they are their own beast. Get in quick as its coming up to end of year and everything shuts down from early Dec, so ideally you'd want a successive appeal and be back on track with a new offer prior to the end of the year.
2. Two wouldn't hurt. More supporting evidence for your appeal.
3. Maybe, maybe not. Get onto the appeal quick and stay very close with your EC; they can keep you abreast as to what positions/intakes are still likely to be available