PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA License Conversion Advice: Regionals or I Pay by myself??
Old 9th Sep 2019, 07:18
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Global Aviator
I find this advice hard to believe, I would be verifying with the FAA.
I sure don't understand Part 61 at the functional level where it gets applied to an individual. I never had to mess with it as that's the job of the training department. But I got curious when amonghtus and IllinoisDavidson began asking about it. So I noodled around and found the following. Is it an explanation ? No idea...I'm just playing jailhouse lawyer:

If FAA recognizes foreign flight time as logable in Part 61:

(j)Aircraft requirements for logging flight time. For a person to log flight time, the time must be acquired in an aircraft that is identified as an aircraft under § 61.5(b), and is -

(1) An aircraft of U.S. registry with either a standard or special airworthiness certificate;

(2) An aircraft of foreign registry with an airworthiness certificate that is approved by the aviation authority of a foreign country that is a Member State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation Organization;

...AND...

c)Logging of pilot time. The pilot time described in this section may be used to:

(1) Apply for a certificate or rating issued under this part or a privilege authorized under this part; or(2) Satisfy the recent flight experience requirements of this part.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.51

Why can't foreign PICUS flight time be applied toward the 250 hour PIC requirement for an FAA ATP ?

Could his EASA PICUS fill that FAA square ?:

(5) 250 hours of flight time in an airplane as a pilot in command, or when serving as a required second in command flightcrew member performing the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof, which includes at least—
(i) 100 hours of cross-country flight time; and
(ii) 25 hours of night flight time.

§61.159 Aeronautical experience: Airplane category rating. Part 61.159(a)(5)

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp&r=PART&n=14y2.0.1.1.2