PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell ditching off Newcastle
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2019, 23:17
mcoates

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have flown across this beach a number of times and it is a white pointer shark breeding spot.

I was flying once in an Allegro LSA and the shadow of my fuselage passed over the top of one of the very large sharks sitting just outside of the breakers. The shark was longer than the shadow of a 6.5 m long fuselage !! And because of Newcastle being so close you are only at 500 feet AGL passing through the area as a VFR aircraft...... makes you think. After this I went had a look on Google to find out more about the location and the sharks being there and I also found out that there are multiple gamefishing, land based, world records in this area and several boat based world records. There are some really big sharks in this area.

Not the very best place to be ditching, you not only have the problems of landing in the ocean but then you have problems of getting picked off swimming to shore. Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Looking at the lifelike tracking for the rescue aircraft doesn't really make much sense either. This aircraft went missing at around 6:30 PM last night and the rescue aircraft didn't leave Melbourne until 730 this morning ? What am I missing