PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots vote to strike
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2019, 19:57
Twiglet1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoelEvans
wiggy's comment that BA Short Haul "went almost fully EASA" is a worry. The trashing of the UK's CAA FTLs (Flight Time Limitations) in favour of EASA's FTLs (Fatigue Target Limitations?) was probably the biggest act of vandalism against flight safety in Britain. I am so glad that my "extended recovery rest period" ('EASA-speak' for 'Days Off') is always many multiples of the EASA 'target' minimum. 'Going almost fully EASA' on FTLs would have been a hugely detrimental change to Ts&Cs. I am almost starting to understand the strike...
Noel - My experience is that most UK AOC's took a mature stance on EASA FTL and worked closely with the CAA and Unions to provide protection against any weaknesses in EASA FTL - don't forget the prescriptive limits are similar to what was around in Europe under JAA regs for donkeys years. Some of the regs "trashed" included the early/late/night regs and the factored sectors for sectors over 7hrs - no doubt you want Flight Engineers bought back? There were also some good points to EASA like the acclimatisation rules.There is also the contentious issue of "back to back" long haul and the onus on both AOC and crew members responsibilities towards the C word - Yep EASA FTL is horrible if taken to its limit but I don't know of any UK AOC that does that - for one crews are protected by the Working Time Agreement, normally generous leave allowances, part time agreements and scheduling agreements.
So what 3 years into EASA FTL you need to come up with some examples of "the biggest act of vandalism of Flight Safety in Britain" or is it just perception???