PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay messy in SFO
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 19:34
VThokie2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tigerinthenight
The only thing ATC should be saying in the event of a TCAS RA is "roger". Giving traffic information is a big no.
I take what you are saying however when faced with a question, ATC tried to help. Instead of:

UAL 1515: “OK,Sir, Where is that aircraft behind us? I got an RA here to climb”

Tower: “Roger”

(Btw “Roger” is the response to “TCAS RA” which UAL did not technically say”)

To add to what someone said earlier .... I’ve flown domestically in the US and as an expat flying heavies, for both operators there was a note in the company pages recommending TA only for KSFO when conducting the 28L/28R approaches. Who knows what UAL recommends in theirs.

The bigger industry wide issue is operators having difficulties flying a visual (based on proceeding traffic, or just the runway in site). I completely get why, since when I was overseas we practiced patterns all the time in the sim so that we could say we could do it, but in the real operational environment no one would dare fly a visual from a downwind, even CAVOK daylight. It’s aviation, crap happens and if all envolved in this reflected on what they could’ve done better then that’s a good outcome. However in some companies and aviation cultures punitive actions would be the result. Which leads to people not willing to accept a visual for fear of cocking it up! Yet puff up their chests and think themselves superior aviators.