PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet pilot grounded for whatsapp message to friends
Old 30th Aug 2019, 18:34
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jumpseater

Not far fetched at all. The ability to record, retain and publish ‘media’ images, words, sound is evolving rapidly. A few years back a phone call was just that, no record apart from number dialled and duration, I’m aware of a person who now records all his calls via an app. As he’s in law enforcement it’s been useful when some of his ‘clients’ have called him! The UK law society has practice guidelines here https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/suppor.../social-media/ possibly useful reading for some people to understand the implications of today’s technology if used inappropriately or maliciously, and to appreciate what ‘social media’ encompasses.

NB for context I occasionally do media/journalistic work.
From the website you quote:

Social media are web-based and mobile technologies that turn communication into active dialogue. There are many different types of social media channels, which attract specific audiences for different purposes. These include:
  • forums and comment spaces on information-based websites, for example BBC Have Your Say, the Law Society Gazette or Roll on Friday
  • social networking websites such as Facebook and LinkedIn
  • video and photo sharing websites such as Flickr, Instagram and YouTube
  • weblogs, including corporate and personal blogs
  • micro-blogging sites such as Twitter and Tumblr
  • forums and discussion boards such as Yahoo! Groups or Google Groups
  • online wikis that allow collaborative information sharing such as Wikipedia
  • any other websites that allow individual users or companies to publishing or share content with other users.
Suspiciously absent are text and WhatsApp. I know the reason: IT IS NOT SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!
If you address your message at a specific person, or a few select persons it is not SOCIAL MEDIA. Of course your media could end up on the whole internet, but what you are saying is regular snail mail is social media just because you scanned and posted your grandma's birthday card.
Intent of wider distribution is required for the social part to apply.

NB for context I occasionally think.

(sorry for the screaming)