PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 plane diverted to Porto after pilot falls ill at the controls
Old 30th Aug 2019, 15:24
Flying Wild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Farringdon
Hey Mods, feel free to delete this post if considered slightly off topic but I wondered just what official and legal capacity is appointed to an FO whose Captain has become incapacitated. I realise that without anyone else up front that the FO has to do everything possible to ensure the safety of the aircraft and its passengers and crew but are there any civil aviation regulations or company policies that govern the assumed elevated status of the FO in these situations? I mean has he actually assumed command for all intents or purposes or is he/she simply conducting the flight as if the Captain had instructed them to do so?
Most operations manuals have a job spec for a First Officer stating that they will assume the duties and authority of Pilot In Command if necessary during the flight. This would cover the FO in this instance as the Captain, once deemed incapacitated, generally would not be allowed to have input into the remainder of the flight even if seemingly recovered.