PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RIP Capt. Al Haynes.
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2019, 10:19
testpanel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just a FI starting my flying career, building hours in the early ´90s.
One day i got the opportunity to join a lecture AL gave at Langley AFB, VA.

Al introduced himself and let us first see and hear what happened before giving a lecture so simple and strong i have never experienced again, i cannot remember how long it took, but i do remember the tapes, the real recording with ATC!

The moment I heard ATC talking I thought " I think I know this guy!"

AL`s lecture was amazing, will never forget it!
And he did it in so simple words, as it was "normal" to him, just to do HIS and his crew´s job.
I learned a lot that evening, and still carrying it with me, because that lecture you don't get in flight school nor CRM-courses nor from fellow colleagues .....
from nobody!

2 days later I did (i think) an IR training flight with a guy that was an ATC controller in Newport News airport, it was the ATC guy that offered AL even a highway close to the airport in case they could not make it or needed an option (the guy I heard on the tape from AL` lecture)
This ATC guy (sorry bud, i forgot your name, its in my logbook but i am away from home...) left his hectic NY ATC place for a quiet Iowa...... and than got this on his hands....

To the family of AL, I am sorry for your loss, but you all can be proud of him, at least HE showed me some real CRM

RIP AL!