PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing drop at stall
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2019, 05:10
djpil

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Just to add an Australian flavour to the discussion after three flat spin accidents in pilot training with three fatalities in recent years. Refer
https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.co...ation-warning/ following the release of the first accident report. None of the aircraft were approved for intentional spins yet were practicing incipient spins per the PPL training syllabus.

With our new Part 61 licensing regulations, CASA expanded the scope of stall training for PPLs requiring incipient spins in a variety of scenarios yet omitted to define what was actually required in their so-called Manual of Standards.

I note that the people who write AFMs would use this definition of a spin from AC 23-8C: "A spin is a sustained autorotation at angles-of-attack above stall. ....". The manufacturer of the aircraft in that first accident report confirmed that intentional incipient spin entries are not permitted.

We are still waiting for further advice from CASA and I eagerly await the next two accident reports as I anticipate other issues.