PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA License Conversion Advice: Regionals or I Pay by myself??
Old 28th Aug 2019, 22:44
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
amonghtus,

I can appreciate the difficulty of your decision. What I can say is the competition at the career-destination, legacy level in the USA is beyond fierce; things are apparently done with a difference focus than other parts of the world. Just getting an interview is almost a miracle and each carrier seems to have its own peculiar emphasis. Your A330 time will be a positive but your total time appears to be a bit low.

It's not what you want to hear but your best path is probably a regional for a few years to get some FAA Part 121 experience...and...get an FAA ATPL without parting with $10+K to do it. I'm not sure all regionals will take you straight in without an FAA license. It requires a different process than the typical US applicant and most regionals just aren't inclined or set up to do it.

aviator35 has some posts on here and is in circumstances very similar to yours. He hasn't posted in a while so I don't know what he decided to do. His experience would be instructive.

Best of luck...keep us posted on your decision.
there’s no difference not having an FAA certificate so long as the applicant has an ICAO license and meets the part 61 mins and has a letter of validation that not expired going in to the type rating test. There’s literally no difference in training or paperwork as far as the regional airline is concerned.