PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL and 'complex' aircraft
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2019, 21:08
Pilot DAR

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
If a training organization who operates an Arrow will make it available for your training, use that airplane as early in your training, and as often as they will allow, and you can afford. Particularly if you aspire to move up to more advanced airplanes anyway. Yes, you'll have to learn to manage the propeller and landing gear, but don't let this put you off, it's not a big deal. To be honest, managing modern avionics is much more complex than constant speed prop and retractable landing gear. The airplane will be a little more "busy" to fly during takeoff and landing, so just know this, and allow yourself a little more time for that. Yes, there's a little more to learn on type, so plan to spend a little extra on instructor time while you learn these additional disciplines.

If you are able to train in an Arrow, or similar single engine complex airplane, the experience you build, and the time you log will be more valuable toward being insured on advanced types in the future for you. And, it's likely that the training organization will assign you a more experienced instructor - this will benefit you. (Their newest instructor is not training on their advanced airplane!).

Shortly after my PPL training in 150/172, I asked to rent the club's Cardinal RG (Cessna's equivalent to the Arrow). As I was very low time, They insisted n a five hour check out. No problem, I flew two of those hours, the instructor said he was happy with my skills, and I felt confident in the plane, so he and I flew a three hour cross country, partly night and hood time toward my night rating. Then I rented that airplane mostly, including taking for a week long 1000 mile trip solo. With about 70 hours in that airplane (and another renter crashing it), I was well set to be insured on other advanced types, and a more broad choice of types opened up for me. I do know a fellow who bought and earned his PPL in a Piper Aztec. It took him a while, but he did it, was fine to fly that type, and transitioned to other type well - he next bought a Navajo.