PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada Rouge at Montego Bay
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2019, 13:45
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IcePack
Misd.
Interesting about fully manual Flt in an AB. Take manual thrust for an example thrust idle to max is about 5 inches of movement, so adjusting thrust has to be done with finess. You can't just give the thrust levers an inch like you can on a Boeing.
You can move the throttles an inch, or a fraction of an inch, if you so desire. But you bring up an interesting point - throttle/thrust lever travel and relative sensitivity. We can use manual thrust and should always verify, by checking the N1 gauges, what the response was. The only time that's inappropriate is once you're very low and about to, or in, the flare. I switching from Boeing to AB and caught a nasty sink rate just prior to touchdown with relatively low time on the AB. I used muscle memory to push the AB thrust levers up....WHOA!....too much power! Landed ok and made the somewhat tight midfield turnoff (no parallel taxiways). The amount of power I had received based on the throttle movement threw me off. I think the Boeing throttles gave less power per inch/degree of travel vs the AB thrust levers. Or put another way, the AB engines give more power for the same amount of throttle/thrust lever travel. I base that observation on more time in the aircraft using manual thrust and from measuring the throttle/thrust lever travel on the Boeing 737 vs Airbus 320. I wonder if anyone knows the actual answer? (TDracer??).