PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QR920 11th August Doha-Auckland turns back shortly after takeoff
Old 21st Aug 2019, 22:05
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's standard ops, done even by FOs who haven't taxiied anything bigger than a ME-piston plane before. The -200 is even easier.
Really ? I would be interested to know where this is "standard ops" , and I'm not talking about shutting one down as you turn into the gate to save a few kgs of gas for the experts in the fuel monitoring department . Jet blast from a GE90-115 is always a consideration when taxiing at heavy weights on 2 engines at the best of times , let alone on one donk , especially if you make the mistake of allowing the jet to "settle" in any turns . It's a long way from the runway to most gates at DOH. Shut down and tow in would have been the preferred option if there had been serious damage to the engine , even if already secured .

On the other hand , there may be more ( or less ) to this story than is being reported in the media . The report ( by the pax ) stated that the aircraft returned to the gate "under it's own power" .. It cannot be concluded that the engine was shut down during the incident . I am pretty sure the crew would have followed QR procedures to the letter . They run a tight ship there .

Yes obviously something inside the jet core ripped a hole through the turbine end of the engine .
No further comment .