PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA to EASA. Are there any jobs in the EU?
Old 21st Aug 2019, 11:41
ilrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns
I recently ran an OCC for a Canadian guy in your position and it was relatively painless conversion for him, I think you can get a dispensation to fly and complete the ATPL exams within a certain time frame but I can't quite remember the details.

Things are a little bit up in the air at the moment due Brexit and the fact that a few airlines are not in the best shape financially, Thomas Cook or Norweigen for example, or Ryanair battling unions and cancelling new joiner courses etc. Once Brexit gets sorted and the 737 Max gets flying again (will either ever happen????).... But as a Captain on the 737 I'm sure recruitment will ramp up again as usual in the winter. Guessing by your Spanish passport that Spain would be a preferred base, Jet2 or Easyjet are probably your best bet as a DEC to fly for a decent airline with a route to living at a Spanish base. Easyjet has more options but you would have to do the A320 TR. If fluent in Spanish then look at the Spanish airlines but I can't imagine the pay is competitive
I've also recently heard this, that airlines in EU have hired and have allowed pilots to fly with FAA licenses for a period of a year or two while they get their EASA. Haven't found the actual regulation on it though...

Definitely sounds encouraging that there are jobs for captains. Spain is not necessarily my first choice (actually, Berlin), but until I see what the hiring pool really is like and the difficulty of getting a job obviously having one at any base is better than not having a job at all.

I'm still confused about this... Airlines in EU make you pay for your type rating? All the time? Like you mentioned, at EasyJet if I were to apply... I wouldn't have a chance unless I pay for my own 320 type?