PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 19th Aug 2019, 20:09
runway30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir Niall Dementia

CO poisoning is almost impossible to detect until it’s nearly too late. However, there is no excuse, CO poisoning or not for an unqualified pilot carrying out this flight. Ibbotson knew he was unqualified, Henderson I suspect knew he was unqualified and an innocent life was lost.

I’ve spent a career in CAT operations watching cowboys taking the piss because they do it cheap, no one stops them and those of us with all the checks and balances in place lose business to these cheating s***s who laugh and lie their way out.

While I feel sorry for the loss and publicity Ibbotson’s family have suffered I hope his death may finally mean someone grasps illegal CAT and the operators by the throat and squeezes, hard.

Pilots are advertising helicopter sight seeing flights along the Thames, with 70 hours on their PPL and not knowing that for CAT a non-standard flight plan is required. It’s 20 years since I last flew a sightseeing flight, but I know what they mean to the real operators,

At a UK Airport last week I met an elderly lady whose son had paid for her to use the aircraft and pilot he hires regularly to take the mother to meet a friend. Cocky bloke in his 4 seat single and his PPL charging for a charter. Fancy putting your mum’s safety in the hands of a couple of hundred hour PPL in iffy weather?

Ignore CO poisoning, it had no more relevance than a mild cold in this case. The flight was illegal and Sala was killed by people prepared to take a risk for a few quid, and from information now coming out about airworthiness, or lack of It sounds worse than at first thought.

I make no apology for my anger, I have to work my arse off to keep the staff employed and the aircraft paid for and then answer questions about how Sala died and are we safe. My passengers are, at a price, I suspect a lot of passengers in the UK now aren’t.

I still await Grant Shapps response to how his “freeing up GA” has enhanced safety.

SND
SND, I agree with everything you say.