PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia - Plane crash lands in field after bird strike
Old 17th Aug 2019, 16:56
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of the brace position to improve the passengers' and F/As' chances of walking away from an abnormal landing ?

If not, then what's it for ?
as mentioned above, it's a compromise.

Your seat needs to be upright so the poor side behind you can get out of his during the evac, and so you can reach the seat in front in order to brace.

It may not be effective in all instances though, ask any emergency room doctor who's seen sleeping passengers in road accidents come out unscathed while the awake ones got broken bones or worse from trying to "brace for impact"impaccalling for brace may actually have made things worse in such a short time as pax might have been confused about what to do and adopted wrong position, been midway through and injured themselves.

I'm sure they knew something wasn't right but probably not realising how serious it actually was may have contributed to them all walking away rather than a panic. Just my opinion of course