PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia - Plane crash lands in field after bird strike
Old 16th Aug 2019, 07:40
petrichor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LEM

As I said, the call Brace for impact is a must.
And... try to apply the procedure.
Flaps 2, gear DOWN.

ahhh..better to die in a ball of flames with checklists complete than use good old airmanship and instinct to keep everyone alive?

Surely you must be kidding! I admit I’m a 330 driver but I assume the 320 goes straight into Emer Elec Config with both donkeys out which means NO NORMAL GEAR EXTENSION, NO FLAP EXTENSION, NON-NORMAL FLIGHT CONTROLS and a whole lot of bells and whistles, all at less than 1000ft...do you seriously think there’s time for the APU to start (loaded question..the answer is NO because it takes over 50secs to start the APU). Given the RW length one assumes the take off wold have been inConfig 1+F so leaving it as is was surely the best bet.

The crew did an AMAZING job and hopefully we can all learn from their experience once the reports are published, but for me, good old airmanship prevailed and thank God he didn’t decide to focus on checklists or the outcome may have been different.