PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport/Airspace changes in SE UK
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2019, 08:06
Lissart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again.
Chevvron rightly points out some of the problems with ATCO availability. It does not help now only having the one private ATC training college. I still maintain that one of the biggest single risks to the Manston project could well turn out to be a lack of ATCO's,e specially as Greenfield vaildations will be needed, ruling out in the first case, ab-initio's. All that money, all that effort and struggle and they can't operate as envisaged because of a lack of controllers! That would be a bitter pill to swallow. So, strategic thinking needs to include assessment of this risk and how to mitigate it. From my own experience, I'd say it is not just about attracting controllers but about retention. Give them professional salaries, working conditions and sound management and above all avoid trying to make a dodgy business successful by nibbling away at their T's & C's and squeezing every last bit of juice out of them. ATCO are essential staff and ATC is just part of the cost of doing business.
Andy Mayes points are interesting. One would hope that a genuine conversation could be had between the operator, ANSP's, airlines, etc to come up with a solution.
Anybody want to comment on the idea in principle of Class E + TMZ as a CAS solution, following the changes coming in 2020 from EU 373 part ATS?