PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport/Airspace changes in SE UK
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2019, 10:26
Andy Mayes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF they reopen, the chances are they’ll only get a 2.5NM ATZ, like they had when they closed. Lydd and Headcorn not far away have the same although theirs are 2NM as their Runways are shorter. Of course, there could be a Business Case imminent with an Airspace Change Proposal involving a request for Controlled Airspace but these are usually only granted because of high passenger numbers; Flying Schools, Helicopters and Airliners doing visual approaches won’t attract the passenger numbers warranting controlled airspace.

Nobody wants to see any airfield closed so best of luck to whoever it is that wants to reopen it.

Originally Posted by Lissart
Colleagues,
Anyone following airport developments will probably be aware that the former Kent International Airport has recently been sold to a firm committed to re-opening the place. Also, that a Development Consent Order process has been completed and is awaiting a decision from the SoS. The purpose of this post is NOT to challenge the wisdom of this situation or enter into viability arguments. My aim is to stimulate discussion on future ATC services and airspace classification once this closed airport transitions to an open one in, maybe, 2 years time or so. There seems to me to be quite a tricky problem to be solved of multiple over-lapping circles; service provision, staff numbers, technology, future airspace policy, CAA/EASA oversight and regulation, business implementation and risks to that business by getting it wrong, control zones/areas, safety, class of airspace, proximity of other CAS, digital towers, oft-quoted national ATCO shortage etc. Etc. Lots of developments happening in the wider AT world which could work for or against.Traffic assumptions:That the bulk of the paying traffic will be transport category airliners.
That airliners will be training – visual circuits, practice approaches and so on.
Flying club.
Helicopter school.
Flight training of light a/c on instrument approaches.
Transit trafficWhat thoughts do the assembled company have on how this might pan out? As I said, I'm looking to stimulate a theoretical debate!Any reference to official documentation for supporting arguments would be appreciated.Ta,
LISSART