PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawaii, passenger jumps from a helicopter
Old 10th Aug 2019, 13:30
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That pilot's airmanship was just fine. And I'm willing to bet quite a few beers the gentleman who jumped was not pushed.

But..are you saying that helicopter pilots should no longer take people into potentially dangerous conditions? So no more heli-skiiing for instance? No more parachute jumps or skydives? How and why can you draw the line between something like those things and something this? They are the same thing.

I will agree that the location was suspect, but only in a political context, because of the currently hostile political climate towards ANY helicopter operations in that part of Hawaii. But from the perspective of intrinsic personal responsibility and "airmanship" (if that latter even applies), no, I'm never going to agree that this was a bad op based on the available video evidence.

I am sick to death of being nanny-stated to death (I guess they are going to get me either way, then!) Just because somebody thinks it's a bad thing doesn't mean I think it's a bad thing. You are free to tell me I'm an idiot (and I think you did, but very politely ), but don't legislate my compliance due to your fears when there is absolutely no public safety issue.

To perhaps drift this thread in a slightly different, less controversial direction, clearly they've got some hate from the planet-bound over high density helicopter op's in Hawaii. The same is happening in Long Island right now (see my other topic). Local to me, in the past couple of years we've seen a fine restaurant that was helicopter friendly close its helipad, and a small local airport restrict helicopter operations. Are helicopter operations becoming so much more prevalent that they are becoming a nuisance? Is it now too easy, and affordable, for someone to get an R44, or an FAA LOA for tour op's, or even a Part 135 certificate?