PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2019, 06:59
globaltraveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike current
I think it's safe to say there'll be no Cathay at EDI. Just like it was easy to predict that Hainan would last a year or 2 max.
2 airlines serving Bucharest and multiple eastern European destinations also are not sustainable.

The economy is slowing down and Brexit hasn't even come yet. I think 2019 is going to be a peak year and be lucky if it flatlines from here.
I hope I am wrong!
I do think that is fairly pessimistic. There is good scope for further long haul development from EDI and it isn’t just from outbound tourists. A lot of the recent traffic declines at EDI coincide with global, rather than localised, recessions. And as the poster above notes a weak Pound is good for the inbounds. It is interesting to note that whilst the number of overseas visitors to the UK, as a whole, is declining in Scotland quite the opposite is happening with good growth In numbers.

Not wanting to start a bunfight but how much is the current political volatility in the UK (if at all) holding back route development at EDI and other airports? It must surely factor into commercial decisions, even if it just means adopting a “wait and see” approach for the moment?