View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2019, 22:51
av8beyond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foreigners using Part 61

Originally Posted by avoka

Hi everyone
I have one question
Please may anybody explain me why foreigners can't use part 61 course????
Please PM me if You want.
Many thanks in advance

----
Safe flights!
Hi Avoka,
Sorry for the late response; I haven't been here for quite a while.
Prior to 9-11, Part 61 pilot training was open to non-US citizens, even tourists on a B-1/B-2 visitor's visa. No further clearances were required, as long as one did not overstay the visa.

1) Sometime after 9-11, around 2004, the regulations changed so that all non-US citizens (including people with "green cards") wanting to begin ab initio flight training in the US now need to get a TSA clearance called a Category 3 approval first. In order to apply for this, one needs to provide a Course ID number and a Student ID number to the TSA, after which one has to give them one's fingerprints and pay a fee of around $150. Usually, only Part 141 flight schools are able to give students an ID number for the TSA application. There may be a few exceptions that I am not aware of.

2) Another issue is the visa. In general, people on a visitor's visa are not allowed to begin flight training in the US. I am not sure about people who have entered through the OECD Visa Waiver program, such as EU citizens. If the primary purpose of being in the US is flight training, the foreign student will have to enter the country with either an M-1 visa (most common) or in some cases an F-1 visa (if a degree is to be attained). In order to get either of these visas, one needs to submit something called a Form I-20 to the US embassy/consulate during the visa application. In general, Part 141 flight schools have the authorization to issue a Form I-20 for a student visa. I don't know of any Part 61 flight schools that are so authorized.

3) Moreover, all foreign students entering the US also need to get a SEVIS clearance (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). The SEVIS fee is about $350. I don't know if any Part 61 flight schools are in the SEVIS system (unlikely).
In conclusion, I will note that foreign nationals can learn to fly in neighboring Canada without any of the above complications. The weather is of course much better in California and Arizona.

Hope this answers your question. Cheers and good luck with your flight training.