PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot friends we remember...
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2019, 02:59
Pilot DAR

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Pilot friends we remember...

Some of us have lost pilot friends, and there have been a number recently. I lost a pilot friend to an accident three days ago.

I was thinking to myself of friends I have lost in aircraft accidents, and what those friends meant to me. Most were mentors, to whom I owe a lot, and I'm please than in small ways I keep their memory alive, by including their wisdom in the way I make my flying safer, and in a few cases learning to not do what they did.

I've recently had discussion with a couple of posters here, and other friends about pilot friends lost, and have discussed that in a very small way, they may still be remembered. So, here goes, a thread in which we may post our nice thoughts about pilot friends we have lost in aircraft accidents, and what they meant to us. What we do in our flying, which bears memory to them.

A few simple guidelines please:

Naming the person: If it is pride worthy, and very unlikely to create upset, renewed unpleasant discussion, accusations, liability or implication of fault, I guess it's okay to name the person in a good context. If in doubt, just use their first name, or initials only, or no identity, if you prefer. If the accident is within the last year or two, or if you think that there could be any lingering long term legal or insurance issues, better to not name the person, you can circle back later. A few very serious accidents can have legal proceedings for many years afterword, so think before you identify people. If what you're posting goes no deeper than reliable public record, you should be fine. Remember, the purpose of this is to refresh pleasing thoughts and memories, not unhappiness. Mods will delete any posts where a name is used and trouble seems to result - fair enough?

Condolences: no that's not what this is for. Yes, we miss them, and we can all assume that condolences are intended. Please send them to the family in a nice card, not post them here.

Events of their accident: It may possibly have a little merit to mention their accident, but that is not what is intended here. If you must, keep in light and brief, and non controversial please. If there is a reference to an accident, the only further discussion about the accident will be the positive learning type of discussion. Rehashing old details is not what we're here for, so such posts will be deleted.

We're doing this to acknowledge and appreciate the person - positive and kind please.... If in doubt, don't post about them/the accident, or make them completely non identifiable.