PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA422 smoke incident Valencia
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2019, 17:34
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dominator2
giggitygiggity,
Thank you for your ranting and rather rude post. Yes, I am a pilot of 41 years experience and thankfully none completed in the commercial world. All of my flying career was spent as a Military Aviator defending Queen and Country. In the RAF we chose to protect our rear crew by providing over pressure/100% oxygen and masks. I was, therefore, educated by your discourteous answer to my post. Clearly, you are another who has been brain washed by the system?

I incorrectly assumed that the civilian sector provided better protection for it's passengers! I suspect that over the ages this is just another area where safety has been eroded? The financial imperative to reduce weight, reduce fuel burn, reduce costs against providing a safe environment to fly in. All very well for the pilots to safely land the aircraft but if all of the passengers are dead due to asphyxiation, then they have failed.

Who will be the first to take the lead and enforce Flight Safety First?
The rude tone was in response to what I interpreted as a rather rude and previous apportion of blame to the crew, which was based on assumption/incorrect info. I would have assumed that at some point you would had have seen the video/demo the of the oxygen mask onboard civil airliners, you can clearly see it isn't a forced pressure mask. Is the MRTT fitted with 250 forced oxygen masks for the troops? I don't wax lyrical about military flying because I haven't done it. Perhaps the same courtesy should be afforded towards us unlucky enough to be commercial pilots as obviously we need the sympathy.

I'm not sure what you mean by brainwashing? My biggest issue with people posting incorrect information is that this thread will undoutably be viewed by some enterprising Daily Mail journalist who will quote you verbatim and make the pilots look like rank amateurs: "One professional pilot asked why they didn't provide oxygen to the passengers, we're waiting for British Airways to give us a response"... In the age of the internet, misinformation is damaging (eg the damage done by one Twitter idiot today posting a picture of a lady sitting in a seat without a back onboard an easyjet flight. That spawned probably 20 articles from all the usual British news agencies within an hour.)