PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA422 smoke incident Valencia
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2019, 17:21
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominator2
giggitygiggity,

Thank you for your ranting and rather rude post. Yes, I am a pilot of 41 years experience and thankfully none completed in the commercial world. All of my flying career was spent as a Military Aviator defending Queen and Country. In the RAF we chose to protect our rear crew by providing over pressure/100% oxygen and masks. I was, therefore, educated by your discourteous answer to my post. Clearly, you are another who has been brain washed by the system?

I incorrectly assumed that the civilian sector provided better protection for it's passengers! I suspect that over the ages this is just another area where safety has been eroded? The financial imperative to reduce weight, reduce fuel burn, reduce costs against providing a safe environment to fly in. All very well for the pilots to safely land the aircraft but if all of the passengers are dead due to asphyxiation
You're comparing apples with oranges, or in other words comparing a system designed to support the life of the stringently selected highly trained mortals who are potentially going to have to operate at high level whilst going to war verses a system that will support a member of the general population ( aged from babe in arms though to perhaps 100+ ) to survive long enough for the crew to take actions to improve the environment in the cabin.

Like me in my former life you probably enjoyed the delights of North Luffingham, aeromedical lectures and chamber runs, and were very familiar with '"the kit" because you used it everyday.

Compare and contrast with the training received by paying passengers in the commercial world... the passenger oxygen system needs to have masks that are extremely simple to don and operate..quickly... Even so there are videos/still images around of what passengers have managed to do in a crisis with simple masks when required to don them..(somebody will no doubt provide a link) ...I hate to think of the consequences of dropping them a pressure breathing type assembly.

Last edited by wiggy; 6th Aug 2019 at 17:47.