PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 23:05
Ck.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kundry
Hey guys,

Will soon be a 200 hour CPL looking for work up north. I'm planning to pack the car and visit a couple of specific operators that are in northern WA and remote NT i.e. away from Darwin.

I was wondering if a bare CPL will reflect poorly upon me? i.e. I haven't taken the time to upskill to a FIR, ME or IR, no IREX done, no ATPLs done. I have a senior first aid cert and looking to get my DG Awareness done.

Realistically not expecting any IFR/NVFR flying in the first year or so however even for the 172 scenics I'll be competing with other fresh CPLs from uni courses/diplomas who have their ME IR. Am I overthinking this or should I just pack the car and go knocking?
I’d recommend you to get your MECIR before coming up here. Why? You’re gonna be dealing with a lot of hairy situations up north, 5km vis, dodging thunder storms, smoke/haze. Having a your instrument rating will give you a lot more confidence dealing with these situations ( that’s if you ever put yourself in that position, and hand on heart, some, not all of us, has sent it for the sake of getting the job done )

The industry is moving quickly that you want to be the guy who is ready for the twin not the guy who says (give me 4 weeks to do my MECIR).

Credit to you if you are willing to pack up your car and go north, not a lot of people do it now days, a lot of people simply fly in, drop a resume then fly out ( and it works... ). We’ve all been through that first job conundrum, and it sucks but stick through it, you’ll make a lot of good stories out of it in the future.